Blog Archive

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Engineering topper proves dad right

Engineering topper proves dad right


Srinath Vudali
Express News Service
First Published : 17 Jun 2010 08:29:06 AM IST
Last Updated : 17 Jun 2010 09:54:23 AM IST

HYDERABAD: A G Reddy, an ex-serviceman, decided to give up his job in the Army several years ago to help his two children with their academics.

The risky move paid off on Wednesday when his son A Janardhan Reddy came out at the top of the engineering stream of Eamcet, the results of which were announced on Wednesday. Janardhan, a native of Guntur district , scored 159 marks in the test.

However, final rankings in the exam will be known only when the 25 per cent weightage given to the Intermediate examination --held up due to the prolonged revaluation exercise this year -- is factored into the Eamcet rankings.

Celebrating his son’s success, Reddy recalled how difficult it had been for him to quit his job as a senior clerk in the Army. “When I was posted in New Delhi, I was unhappy about the standard of teaching imparted to my children in the Kendriya Vidyalaya. So I decided to come back to Andhra Pradesh to give my children better education, despite knowing that I was not well placed financially.

I had completed 18 years of service and was left with several years of service,’’ Reddy told Express.

Being a senior clerk, Reddy and his family had access to service comforts in the Army. “I had to choose between my career and my children’s career. I chose my children,’’ he said. After quitting the job, Reddy did small jobs in the army quarters to support his family.

Janardhan Reddy, who stood seventh in the IIT-JEE, has been a winner in all the major competitive exams held this year.


No comments: