Blog Archive

Sunday, June 6, 2010

IIT-JEE toppers speak

IIT-JEE toppers speak


Sohini Chakravorty
First Published : 03 Jun 2010 01:21:33 AM IST
Last Updated : 03 Jun 2010 08:06:39 AM IST

The soft demure image of an engineering student was suddenly transformed into a rebel on-screen for the first time. A talented smart young man with a heart of gold that does not hesitate in speaking his mind out loud and defies all convention. In a country where teachers demand blind reverence, this precocious young man taught his teacher to reconnect with his buried human side and stood by his friends through thick and thin. That was the story of Phunsukh Wangdu, popularly known as Rancho.

Chetan Bhagat’s bestseller Five Point Someone and Rajkumar Hirani’s movie 3 Idiots starring Aamir Khan, Sharmna Joshi and Madhavan touched a cord with the youth of the nation, as they highlighted the pressures and rigours of the Indian education system and the students fighting constantly to stay afloat. But getting through the mind breaking competitive exams are no mean feat.

Every year, The Indian Institute of Technology All India Joint Entrance Exam (IIT-JEE) toppers appear on television and newspapers carry congratulatory messages. You see mug shots of students, interviews with parents, and advertisements for coaching centres. We spend a lot of time celebrating their success, but rarely do we look further. What becomes of these brilliant 17-year-olds? What are the challenges they encounter? Do any of them pursue unconventional careers? These were some of the questions Expresso set out with while talking to this year's IIT-JEE toppers.

LITTLE BIT OF RANCHO

“I feel a bit of pressure is required, otherwise we will not study. But as far as my preparations are concerned there were no pressure or restrictions on my style or way of studying from my parents or college,” says Jeethendra Reddy, topper of IIT-JEE 2010. While Uday K Shah, the second ranker claims, “I did not spend hours studying but concentrated whenever I felt like it.” His college Principal quipped that while Jitendar Reddy was very industrious, Uday was more radical and had his own approach to studies. May be a bit of Rancho in him?

FIVE POINT SOMEONE

When asked whether they have read Five Point Someone, Jitendar quickly responds, “I don’t want to read that book. The book talks about the pressures at IIT and I don’t want to get scared reading it. I like to be more positive.” Another ranker from Warrangal, Madhu Kiran who came fourth had a different view as he explains that, “I have read Five Point Someone but I am ready to face my days in IIT. In the book, the characters did not study and therefore felt angry towards the system, but I plan to do my assignments on time and I am sure I will not get stressed out.”

UNREAL

The discussion predictably moved on to 3 Idiots and these young minds had plenty to say about the movie.

While all three agreed that the movie was a good watch, Jitendar, who is the more skeptical among the three explains, “Rancho’s character was a bit exaggerated and unrealistic. Even if you are talented I don’t think its possible to do all the things that Rancho did.”

On prodding, Uday, who is the quieter one, says, “I am planning to enjoy my days in IIT, Mumbai. I liked the movie as it showed where the system is lacking but I did not like the way it was projected.” And what about Virus? “The professors should be given due respect, if you don’t agree with them just stay away. There is no need to be disrespectful,” says Jitendar.

Ready to step into a crucial phase in their life that will define their career graph, these young minds prefers to inculcate the best of the system and work with the system even though there are critical of certain aspects of it. They are sure of their goals and ready to give their best shots. It can be safely concluded that All Izz Well with some of brightest talents of the country.



No comments: